[GRASS-dev] New CLI GSoC Idea: Comments, Mentors, Students Needed

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 18:10:55 PDT 2018

Hi Pietro,

On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 6:05 AM, Pietro <peter.zamb at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 11, 2018 at 4:33 AM, Vaclav Petras <wenzeslaus at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I just compiled a another idea for this year GSoC:
>>
>> https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/GSoC/2018#Neweasy-to-useCL
>> IandAPIforGRASSGIS
>>

> I like the idea! It is still not clear to me if you think to have a
> persistent storage for the "temporary" location/mapset or if they are
> generated every time.

I'm not sure what you mean by "persistent storage". The current system of
connecting to an existing "D/L/M" stays in place. I mean temporary as a
temporary directory, e.g. in /tmp:

"""
GRASS Database would be created with an appropriate Location (projection
based on input files or additional CLI input).
The GRASS GIS Database, Location and Mapset should be created on the fly
and deleted afterwards (the .grassrc wouldn't be used).
Add --tmp-location which runs --exec in a database/location/mapset which
are created at the beginning and deleted at the end.
"""

So, basically combination of current -c, --exec, and rm -r.

If you have ideas about how it make it more efficient that would be great
since the overhead for the run option/subcommand will be high. Currently,
the idea is that user can use an existing "D/L/M" if higher efficiency is
needed (i.e. same as now).

> Mentors: I'm seeking an additional mentor for this idea. I put myself as
>> first, but you can be first or second mentor as you wish.
>>

> I'm available to co-mentoring this GSoC.

Awesome!