[GRASS-dev] ​GSoC 2018 report week 01 - GRASS GIS module for Sentinel-2 cloud and shadow detection

Roberta Fagandini robifagandini at gmail.com
Sun May 20 07:33:57 PDT 2018

Hi all!
I'm Roberta Fagandini and I'm working on my GSoC project, a GRASS GIS
module for Sentinel-2 cloud and shadow detection.
This is my report for the first week of coding.
Since my progress has been a bit faster than expected I have already
discussed with my mentors about further additions to the project. Therefore
I have already updated my wiki page [0] changing the timeline. In this way,
I will be able to release a more complete module.

*1) What did I complete this week?*

   - Checked the prototype version of the algorithm for cloud and shadow
   detection
   - Tested it
   - I better studied the documentation of the GRASS Python Scripting
   Library and started coding the GRASS python script following the
   workflow schema prepared during the bonding period [1]
   - Coded the 'data preparation' phase
   - Coded the clouds detection procedure
   - Added this first part of python script to my GitHub repository [2]
   - Discussed with my mentors about further additions
   - Discussed with the community about testing phase. I received some
   feedback and some developers stepped forward to help me in testing the
   algorithm
   - Shared progress with the community

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to code on Thursday because of a PhD meeting
with my supervisor.

*2) What am I going to achieve for next week?*

   - Finish the translation of the algorithm in a basic python script
   adding the shadows detection procedure and the steps for checking and
   cleaning the final outputs (see [1] for details)
   - Improve the python script so as to have a "light" working python
   script (manage temporary file, clean up the code, etc.)
   - Test it and fix bugs
   - Start implementing the GUI

*3) Is there any blocking issue?*
No at the moment.