[GRASS-dev] introduce EOL policy

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Sat Apr 27 10:22:09 PDT 2019

On Wed, Apr 24, 2019 at 7:29 AM Maris Nartiss <maris.gis at gmail.com> wrote:
> ceturtd., 2019. g. 11. apr., plkst. 23:46 — lietotājs Markus Neteler
> (<neteler at osgeo.org>) rakstīja:
> > On Fri, Mar 29, 2019 at 8:42 AM Martin Landa <landa.martin at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > 7.7 -> develpment
> > > 7.6 -> stable
> > > 7.4 -> maintenance
> > > What do you think?
>
> I think we should stop adding LTS to releases unless we plan to
> support them for several years (~one full Debian/Ubuntu LTS cycle).

Well, a few remarks:
 - we do support older releases for several years (for sure not
forever, though), see
   https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/grass/branches?order=date&desc=1
- The LTS indications should be extended with a year at
https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/roadmap
- Backporting is a team effort :-)

> One year a go we released 7.2.3 and labelled it as a LTS.
> I am fine with Martin's proposal as long as we are clear what we mean with LTS.

>From my side: we put an EOL year to each LTS, like other projects also do.
The important part is however, to eventually release the code (which
is always a lot of work, like many hours...).

Markus