[GRASS-dev] Try GRASS GIS online: Binder - mybinder.org

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Wed Aug 7 21:27:24 PDT 2019

Dear all,

I would like GRASS GIS to have a page similar to these:

https://jupyter.org/try
"You can try Jupyter out right now, without installing anything."

https://learngitbranching.js.org/
Learn by doing: Try Git commands right from your web browser. (
http://try.github.io/)

https://training.play-with-docker.com/ops-s1-hello/
Play with Docker classroom

It seems that Binder might be the way for all command line and Python
related things (and more). I started with couple of notebooks (click the
"launch binder" button at the beginning of each readme file):

https://github.com/wenzeslaus/try-grass-in-jupyter
https://github.com/wenzeslaus/try-grass-in-jupyter-with-bash
https://github.com/wenzeslaus/grass-zonal-of-solar

First is a basic Python with starting a GRASS GIS session with outputs
saved already (computed notebook). Second is a running GRASS GIS session
and Bash without outputs (you need to run it to see any images). Third is
like the first, but instead of a basic usage, it is a more elaborate
workflow adding Matplotlib (it is unfinished, it should be more than one
notebook).

About Binder (mybinder.org): Basically it makes Jupyter Notebooks from Git
come alive through Docker. This can be also reproduced on any other server.
Binder is a service by Project Jupyter. Binder can do more than just Python
(or Bash) notebooks most notably JupyterLab, RStudio, and C/C++.
https://mybinder.readthedocs.io/en/latest/about.html

There is much more to be discussed. Let me know what you think about this
and about what should be done before promoting this on the website.

Best,
Vaclav