[GRASS-dev] instructions to update my local copy of trunk

Veronica Andreo veroandreo at gmail.com
Mon Jun 3 05:49:42 PDT 2019

Hi again,

El lun., 3 jun. 2019 a las 5:16, Vaclav Petras (<wenzeslaus at gmail.com>)
escribió:

> On Sun, Jun 2, 2019 at 9:01 PM Veronica Andreo <veroandreo at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Ok, got it... the `git push origin` put my origin in sync with upstream.
>> So, for the way we have set remote/origin and remote/upstream, the update
>> goes from upstream to local and from local to origin, is that right?
>>

> Right.

However, even after the `git push origin`, my fork on github website says:
"This branch is 34 commits ahead, 51 commits behind OSGeo:master" (See
https://github.com/veroandreo/grass).

In the terminal, all looks fine though (IIUC):

[veroandreo at localhost grass7_trunk]$ git status
On branch master
Your branch is up to date with 'origin/master'.

[veroandreo at localhost grass7_trunk]$ git log --graph --abbrev-commit
--pretty=oneline  --max-count=50
* f01aa67cf (HEAD -> master, origin/master) i18N: sync from Transifex
* 9d983ac94 Py2/Py3 compat: Use "gettext.install(..., unicode=True)" in
Python 2.
* 65a5a96a6 PyGRASS GridModule silently ignores when module has no output
defined, see https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/3852 (#21)
* e4835d475 v.db.addtable

I don't get it...

Is there another way? I would have imagined, dunno why, that the update
>> would go from upstream to origin to local...
>>

> That would have to happen on GitHub. For whatever reason GitHub does not
> help you to do this automatically (I guess for case when one wants to use
> different workflow...).
>

>> In any case to update my local copy and recompile the source code, I
>> could ommit the git push origin for now, though I'll need it eventually if
>> I make local changes myself.
>>

> If you are creating a new branch locally, you want your local master up to
> date, if on GitHub, you need also your origin/master up to date.

yes, but to do a PR into upstream/master is from origin/master, no? So, I
also want origin/master up to date, or I cannot do the PR. Sorry for silly
questions, I just don't fully understand (yet)

Thanks much for your patience
Vero