[GRASS-dev] [release planning] GRASS GIS 7.8.0 with Python3 support

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Sun Mar 3 10:26:52 PST 2019

On Mon, Feb 4, 2019 at 5:31 PM Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org> wrote:

> Hi devs,
>
> currently sitting next to Martin, we updated our roadmap (also keeping
> the QGIS releases in mind [1] and the next OSGeoLive release):
>
> Time schedule:
> https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/milestone/7.8.0
>
> - Proposal of release: 4 Feb 2019 (OSGeo birthday, btw!)
> - Creation of release branch: 11 Feb 2019
> - RC1: 11 Mar 2019
> - RC2: 24 Mar 2019
> - RC3: if needed
> - Final release: 1 Apr 2019 (tentatively)

Here an update, trying to keep above release plan:

We (esp Carmen, Anika and me) are using trunk in a big project in
mundialis in which we have completely migrated to Python-3 only.
It is all running in the cloud, hence no wxGUI involved. We certainly
only use a fraction of all the commands but for sure important ones
along with several image processing related addons.

In order to ease wider testing, Carmen created a Python-3-only docker
image with PDAL included as a goodie (we use it as part of our
multi-layered docker images):

https://github.com/mundialis/grass-py3-pdal

I just added usage instructions there. You can install it in parallel
and use it for testing.
Please try it out for further testing of GRASS GIS with Python-3!

> [1] https://www.qgis.org/en/site/getinvolved/development/roadmap.html#release-schedule

Cheers
Markus

--