[GRASS-dev] Segment library zero filling

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Mon May 20 08:40:10 PDT 2019

Hi MarkusM and all,

I'm trying to understand if the Segment_open() [1] function fills with
zeros or not. I don't think it does since it is calling G_malloc (malloc)
or Segment_format_nofill(). However, it is not completely clear to me what
is supposed to be doing because documentation still says it calls
Segment_format() and I don't understand context of the related commit [2,
3] and the usage of lseek and USE_LSEEK are not clear to me from format.c
[4].

Markus, can you please clarify that for me? I will then update the
documentation with whatever is needed.

Thanks,
Vaclav

[1]