[GRASS-dev] GSoC 2021: Week 6: First steps towards a new GRASS GIS Single-Window GUI

Linda Kladivová L.Kladivova at seznam.cz
Sun Jul 18 04:28:40 PDT 2021

Hello everyone,

I am sending my Week 6 report (July 12 - July 16). The more detailed version
can be found at the project wiki: https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/GSoC/
2021/SingleWindowLayout#Week
(https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/GSoC/2021/SingleWindowLayout#Week6)6
(https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/GSoC/2021/SingleWindowLayout#Week6).

1) What did I complete this week?
This week was very important. In the first part, I worked on PR [1] which is
already done in terms of the main Map Display panel but needs many other
changes related to other widgets. On Wednesday's video call we decided to
work on the local merged branch because it will probably take some time to
merge PR [1](https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/1675) (also with regard to
the new G8 release). So, I set up the new PR ​
(https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/1732)[2] mining from both refactoring
PRs ​(https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/1675)[1], [3]. By the time we
merge them(https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/1675), I can solve here many
things related to the Single-Window GUI... I have already composed the new
Map Display panel and started to repair existing events and methods and to
implement new methods. There are several basic things I would like to
address in this PR:

   * repair GRASS GIS exit (generally speaking all closing stuff is broken
   now)
   * adding maps to map display does not work when switching to a different
   location
   * adding and removing 3D View does not work
   * remove methods applied on wx.Frame
   * implement new events or repair the existing ones
   * when renaming the Display tab, the related Map notebook tab is renamed

I have also noticed a small issue concerning g.gui.iclass toolbars and I set
up the issue for it (see ​(https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/issues/1731)[4]).

2) What am I going to achieve for next week?
I am gonna work on coding the above-mentioned basic functionalities for the
Single-Window layout on my locally merged branch. Although, it is not
possible for my mentors to test it, I will share changes to the PR [2] so we
can at least discuss them.

3) Is there any blocking issue?
No, It is not.

[1] ​https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/1675