[GRASS-dev] help with completing GRASS 8 new features wiki

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Sun Nov 28 10:05:54 PST 2021

On Wed, Nov 24, 2021 at 2:10 PM Veronica Andreo <veroandreo at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> As we now have grass 8 branch and we approach the date for RC1 release, I kindly ask your help to fill in the new features page: https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/Grass8/NewFeatures80
>
> We happily welcome text snippets and screenshots to highlight the new and exciting changes that will come with GRASS 8 as well as bug fixing, improvements, new modules, library changes, etc. These can then be recycled to create more posts for social media ;-)
>
> Thanks much in advance!
> Vero

In addition, there is now also the detailed (to be filled) page
https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/Release/8.0.0-News

--> git guru wanted!

For populating this page I usually use "git log":

# GRASS GIS 7.0.0 release on 2015-03-20
git log --oneline --after="2015-03-20" | cut -d' ' -f2- | sed 's+^+ *
G80:+g' | sed 's+(#+(PR:+g' | sort -u

which crafts the entries for the trac page.
However, here we get 5586 entries which overlap a lot with all the 7.x
commits (not to be listed here)...

Question: how to filter out the *relevant* ones (the "delta" of
commits between G7.x and G8.0) which are not part of version 7.8.6?

thanks,
Markus