[GRASS-dev] GRASS 'Unable to load GDAL library' when processing linked maps

Tyler D. Rudolph tylerdrudolph at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 08:49:13 PDT 2021

I get an error message when I try to run the following on a linked
'GDAL-supported pseudo-GRASS raster map':

> r.external input=myraster.tif output=myraster

> r.null map=myraster setnull=0
ERROR: Unable to load GDAL library

When I run the same on a GRASS raster map, however, no error is triggered:

> r.in.gdal input=myraster.tif output=myraster

> r.null map=myraster setnull=0
100%

Is this expected behaviour? If so, and drawing such errors is unavoidable,
then I will cease to use linked maps in future. However, in the interest of
limiting storage space requirements, I find r.external and v.external to be
effective ways of managing existing data without the need for duplication,
so if avoiding such errors is feasible, I suggest this would be a
valuable feature to consider for future releases.