[GRASS-dev] [GRASS-PSC] difficult to get GRASS source code package

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Mon Feb 14 12:24:26 PST 2022

On 2022-02-14 4:01 p.m., Veronica Andreo wrote:

> El lun, 14 feb 2022 a las 20:29, Vaclav Petras (<wenzeslaus at gmail.com
> <mailto:wenzeslaus at gmail.com>>) escribió:
>

>     On Mon, 14 Feb 2022 at 14:22, Veronica Andreo <veroandreo at gmail.com
>     <mailto:veroandreo at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>         Currently, there's a link to releases  in the first entry of
>         https://grass.osgeo.org/download/
>         <https://grass.osgeo.org/download/> that points to
>         https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/releases
>         <https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/releases>. I agree that esp for
>         8.0.0 the link to the tarball means a lot of browsing down.
>

>     Or instead of the releases page to that tags page I linked above.
>     The links (both .tar.gz and .zip) are more readily available there.
>     The target audience is technical anyway, so perhaps this is a
>     preferred view at this point in the workflow.
>
>     https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/tags
>     <https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/tags>
>

> Here's the PR: https://github.com/OSGeo/grass-website/pull/284
> <https://github.com/OSGeo/grass-website/pull/284>

+1 to that change.

By the way, one of my last interactions with Martin Isenburg (may his
soul rest in peace) he gave me a strong lecture when I tried to send him
a tarball "jeff it is 2021 please send me something useful like a ZIP".
  He is totally right of course, and we should all remember to post
links to zip as well as .tar.gz etc on our main download pages.

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna
GatewayGeo: Developers of MS4W, MapServer Consulting and Training