[GRASS-dev] Question regarding GRASS_NOTIFY

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 19:46:27 PDT 2022

On Fri, 4 Mar 2022 at 10:09, Nicklas Larsson via grass-dev <
grass-dev at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:

> Couldn’t the desired outcome
> of using GRASS_NOTIFY be implemented in another way?

The purpose was interactive use from the command line I suppose, so for
these cases users can set a convenient alias for sending the signal or a
prefix command to use with the display commands (to call the command and
then send the signal) like `ni d.rast elevation` where `ni` is the
command/alias. Adding something similar to a script has even a smaller
overhead, although it too requires you making sure it happens every time
instead of the one-time GRASS_NOTIFY settings. (I'm assuming here that
signal handling in the imgview programs is not removed.)