[GRASS-dev] GRASS 8.0 support in GDAL and QGIS

Sebastiaan Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Wed Mar 23 13:25:29 PDT 2022

On 3/23/22 21:08, Markus Neteler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Feb 24, 2022 at 9:33 AM Sebastiaan Couwenberg
> <sebastic at xs4all.nl> wrote:
>>
>> Now that 7.8.7 has been released, I started looking into updating the
>> Debian package to 8.0.x which requires rebuilding libgdal-grass and qgis.
>>
>> Initial tests with libgdal-grass are not promising. Both gdalinfo and
>> ogrinfo show errors because not all libraries are linked. We saw this
>> too when 7.2 was released: https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/6785
>>
>> The attached patch helps to some extent, but does not resolve all
>> issues.
>
> Did you propose the path to GDAL in GitHub yet?

No, there was no need after all.

I was led astray by the error from the grass sqlite driver which doesn't
need changes in gdal-grass.

> I just merged and backported
> https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/2269
>
> Perhaps that helps, too? It probably also solves this issue:
> https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/47576

Perhaps.

libgdal-grass and qgis built with grass 8 have only just been available
in unstable.

The transition to proj 9 is currently ongoing so and qgis hasn't been
rebuilt yet, but gdal has, so qgis isn't very usualy right now with
dependencies on different versions of proj.

>> Should we perhaps take this opportunity to move the grass libraries to
>> default library search paths as raised on the debian-gis list?
>>
>>    https://lists.debian.org/debian-gis/2021/12/msg00023.html
>
> Others have answered positively, so the question is when to introduce
> needed changes.
>
>> Has any work been done testing and patching gdal-grass and qgis for
>> GRASS 8 yet?
>
> - I have successfully locally compiled the gdal-grass driver
> - also added a COPR for Fedora RPMs:
> https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/neteler/gdal-grass-plugin/
> - Nyall and Sandro have patched QGIS to support GRASS GIS 8, some weeks ago
>
> More tests are welcome.

This seems to be sufficient so far:

https://salsa.debian.org/debian-gis-team/gdal-grass/-/commit/0192b0418e04d79678bdd5c4c377b8cece5e0939

We mostly need gdal-grass for gdal 3.5 now.

Kind Regards,

Bas

--
  GPG Key ID: 4096R/6750F10AE88D4AF1