[GRASS-dev] CI test timeout

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Sun Mar 12 18:24:09 PDT 2023

Hi Stefan,

On Sun, 12 Mar 2023 at 08:45, Stefan Blumentrath <Stefan.Blumentrath at gmx.de>
wrote:

> After adding another case to the t.rast.algebra test, the tesuite
> occasionally fails due to test time-out. See:
>
> https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/actions/runs/4394593270/jobs/7699431483#step:11:236
> The t.rast.algebra test has quite a number of test cases...

Any temporal test can fail with timeout. Not only this one. I think this
one is most commonly failing because it has the most tests, not because it
is more wrong then the others.

> My question is, what is the appropriate solution here:
> 1) split up the test, so that tests savely finish within 300 seconds
> threshold? The drawback is that the creation of testdata in those tests
> often takes ~ 20 to 50 seconds,  which is an overhead in each testfile o

I think the split would just increase the time for good cases and while the
number of processes which may hang will remain the same.

I think I have some comments about it here:

https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/issues/2185

> 2) increase the time-out limit a bit, so the test does not fail...

I think the tests hang, not simply take a little longer. Before the time
limit, they would take (the full) 6 hours. So, increasing the test time
limit would make it fail later, but that's all.

The actual problem is unknown, but I don't know if anyone tried like
100-500 tests in a row locally to see what happens. The test results are
available for download even when the tests fail (to help track down this
problem).

Vaclav