[GRASS-dev] Candidate modules for OpenMP parallelization

Anna Petrášová kratochanna at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 07:58:58 PDT 2023

Great you can be a mentor! Have you registered as a mentor yet? If not
please ask OSGeo GSoC admins to help you with that.

Regarding the modules, I consider r.watershed as too complex for this. The
student doesn't have extensive experience with OpenMP, neither have I, so I
would prefer to choose something less complex. If you feel confident it's
doable with your help, I am open to that. r.stats looks easier. What I so
far suggested:
* r.proj - Markus Metz tried it 10 years ago, it was not quite working, but
perhaps we could try again with different approach, it would be an
impactful module to speed up
* r.horizon - seems doable, computes maps for different angles, so it looks
like a good fit, likely some rewrite needed
* r.texture - not as impactful, but perhaps easy when we use a similar
approach Aaron used
* v/r.surf.idw - IDW is slow, this could help a lot and it could be
impactful as well.
* r.fill.stats - it's already pretty fast, but it could be relatively easy

The student is interested in the shorter project, so realistically, I don't
think we can do more than 3 modules.
As I said, I am definitely not an expert on this, so I would appreciate
some feedback for others.

Anna