[GRASS-dev] GSoC Ideas

Linda Kladivová L.Kladivova at seznam.cz
Fri Feb 16 00:41:49 PST 2024

Hello Māris,

just to add some other info, we did several surveys among GRASS users about
first-time user experience with Anna, Martin and Vashek and we also tested
old and new startup mechanisms in a real environment within the usability
testing - you can have a look at our article: https://www.mdpi.com/2220-
9964/12/9/376.

As Anna has already written, the results of usability testing were indeed
mixed but I would like to emphasize one thing - most of the usability
participants (first-time users) said to me that they simply expect they will
be directly redirected to the main software window where they can start
working without knowing anything about the software. The current "info bar"
solution goes in that direction and although I have to admit that it has
flaws there are ways how to make it better and Anna has already written some
points.

I think it would be nice to focus on how to make the current solution better
(it is definitely doable and even desirable) and not go back to some
alternatives to the old solution.

Above that, it would be extremely time-consuming to implement any dialog
wizards and at the same time the impact of that "dialog" solution is very
uncertain - one important thing we also learned from surveys and discussions
inside/outside the community is that the one good generally acceptable
solution simply does not exist here - it will always be a compromise.

Just my two cents. :-)

Linda

---------- Původní e-mail ----------