[GRASS-dev] r.copy doesn't respect computational region??

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Sat Mar 2 17:47:55 PST 2024

On Sat, 2 Mar 2024 at 07:04, Paulo van Breugel via grass-dev <
grass-dev at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:

> On March 2, 2024 1:00:23 AM GMT+01:00, Michael Barton via grass-dev <
> grass-dev at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:
> >It's been awhile since I've done this but I thought I remembered that a
> new map created with r.copy is constrained by the computational region.
> That does not seem to the case, at least in 8.4 dev. Maybe it has been this
> way for awhile (long while?) and I didn't notice it.

g.copy is a general tool which creates a copy of the data. Perhaps you are
interested in r.clip which is a raster tool and is driven by the
computational region as expected. r.clip clips according to the current
computation region (preserves original raster alignment  by default).

https://grass.osgeo.org/grass-stable/manuals/addons/r.clip.html

> I think, but I'm not 100% sure, that has always been the case.

Here is g.copy documentation from v6.4 it does not mention anything about
region. It seems to go back to US Army CERL.

https://github.com/OSGeo/grass-legacy/blob/2734c86fd5cb976b4a94b04a2cdc75b4613f6a77/general/manage/cmd/g.copy.html#L6

> In any case, it seems to be the logical behavior, otherwise it wouldn't be
> a true copy?

Are the different expectations coming from differences between raster tools
and general tools? With r.copy (as opposed to g.copy), you could perhaps
argue for respecting the computational region, but I think the "true copy"
expectation would still be strong.

Vaclav