[GRASS-dev] [EXTERNAL] vector patching frustration

Newcomb, Doug doug_newcomb at fws.gov
Thu Mar 14 07:10:20 PDT 2024

Have you tried a .csvt file for your .csv file? https://gdal.org/drivers/vector/csv.html

________________________________
From: grass-dev <grass-dev-bounces at lists.osgeo.org> on behalf of Michael Barton via grass-dev <grass-dev at lists.osgeo.org>
Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2024 7:02 PM
To: GRASS developers <grass-dev at lists.osgeo.org>; GRASS user list <grass-user at lists.osgeo.org>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] [GRASS-dev] vector patching frustration

 This email has been received from outside of DOI - Use caution before clicking on links, opening attachments, or responding.

I am completely stymied in my attempt to do what should be a simple task. I have a map of vector areas, linked with an attribute table. I would like to patch in one more vector area, for which I have equivalent attribute information. I have tried this multiple ways and I cannot make this patch happen so that the added area has attribute info.

The closest I've come is to create and link a one line table to the new area that has exactly the same fields as the larger vector area map. The first map has 154 areas (i.e., cat=1-155). When I patch the maps and look at the resulting attribute table, I indeed see line and cat 155. But it is not linked with the patched area--which has been assigned a cat=183 for reasons I cannot fathom. The patch also renumbers my cat field to cat=2-155 from the original 1-154.

This has been made more complicated by the fact that v.in.ogr imports all columns of a *.csv as text, regardless of what is in them and assigns cat numbers starting at 1. So I can't specify an integer key field of 155 to try the linking. Nor can I change the assigned cat of the single area I am trying to patch from 1 to 155 using v.category (or anything else I can find).

I'm hoping that someone has a clever solution that I've not seen or I'll just have to do this fairly simple and straightforward vector operation in QGIS.

Michael
_____________________________

C. Michael Barton
Associate Director, School of Complex Adaptive Systems (https://scas.asu.edu<https://scas.asu.edu/>)