[GRASS-dev] [EXTERNAL] vector patching frustration

Michael Barton Michael.Barton at asu.edu
Fri Mar 15 17:37:05 PDT 2024

I got this to work *finally*. But there are still complications. Here is an example work flow:

1. Create a map of vector features
2. Create a basic attribute table (e.g., with v.db.addtable).
3. Export that table into a csv file using db.out.ogr
4. Add some attribute fields to that csv file
5. Try to import that csv file using db.in.ogr
6. Error: it won't import the cat field
7. Edit the csv file to rename cat to mycat
8. Try to import the csv file again using db.in.ogr
9. If you have not changed the sort order of the csv file, the new cat numbers that db.in.ogr automatically assigns (no option about this) will match the original cat numbers.
10. If cat does not match mycat, no problem because when you connect the attribute table to the vector with v.db.connect, you can specify mycat as the key field.
11. Try to patch this vector with another vector that has the same structure of attribute table. *Fail* Because patching creates new cat numbers in some order that is not necessarily related to the old linkage. The attribute table of the 2nd map is properly added to the first attribute table, but the second map is not linked properly to the attribute records.

In my case, patching updated my non-cat keyfield to the max cat value of the original table (154) + the max cat value of the patched table (155) = 309. Very odd. This did not match any record. Fortunately, because I only have only one vector feature in the 2nd patched map, I could edit the cat field in the table (because it was not the key field) to match the new cat of the 2nd vector feature, and rejoin the table to the vector using cat. If I would have had multiple features in the 2nd file, it would have been difficult to impossible.

I'm not sure how to fix this. It may need to be a combination of allowing various vector modification modules to specify a cat value for a feature, assuming no duplication. It may need some change to db.in.ogr to allow for importing a field named cat. Maybe more changes to patch (and other features that have legacy underlying assumptions from the old pre-version6 vector format).

Michael
_____________________________

C. Michael Barton
Associate Director, School of Complex Adaptive Systems (https://scas.asu.edu<https://scas.asu.edu/>)