[GRASSGUI] grass5 - Windows HELP

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Sat Feb 8 13:15:40 EST 2003

John
(cc grassgui)

On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 01:46:36PM -0700, John Garner wrote:
> Markus:
[...]
> >I just restarted X and discovered that my login is: "John Garner at plp" (with
> the space).  Could this be the proximate problem?
> >If so, how can I change it / or login as a different user?

Well, this is a question for MS-Windows/X experts...

> >                                     ^^^^-- here is a space
>
> >Removed the space where noted (couldn't before because I had not properly
> exited the X server!).
>  - renamed the folder.
>
> >Restarted and got the same message: It is still looking for the original
> directory with the space in the name.

Try to remove the
$HOME/.grassrc5
file (maybe that's not sufficient).

> >> Suggestion: Try to start GRASS in another directory without spaces
> >> in it's name.
>
> >Markus, please excuse my ignorance - how do I go about doing this?  Delete
> the old folder entirely?
> >Creating a new one with the correct naming convention didn't help.

It may be a question how GRASS was installed (with spaces in the path
name?).
Perhaps it is faster to re-install GRASS appropriately.

Sorry for the hassle, but plenty of work is needed to make
GRASS "white-space" safe. This may happen for 5.1 or later versions.

Markus