[GRASSGUI] can't dock map display with AUI

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Fri Jun 8 17:52:36 EDT 2007

My main question is whether there are a lot (or only a few) specific methods
used in this instance of wx.Frame that are not available if we switch it to
wx.Window. For example, what do we need to do for toolbars and status bars
that are built into frames?

I also don't know if we will need to drop AUI management of map display tool
bars. I'll start playing around with it maybe this weekend.

Michael

On 6/8/07 2:43 PM, "Daniel Calvelo" <dca.gis at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> On 6/8/07, Michael Barton <michael.barton at asu.edu> wrote:
>> That's what I understand from the information I've received. Our problem at
>> the moment is that map displays are indeed children of the initial GIS
>> Manager/layer manager, but they are created as top-level windows (wx.Frame).
>>
>> So there are a couple of questions that we will need to answer if we want to
>> try docking via AUI.
>>
>> 1) Can mapdisplay.MapFrame be changed from wx.Frame to wx.Window (or
>> wx.Panel or something else that works) fairly easily or will it take an
>> enormous amount of reprogramming?
>
> It should be easy: both Frame and Panel are subclasses of Window. In
> wx vocabulary, a window is something akin to a rectangular area, not
> what you would call a "window" as in "window manager" (i.e. border,
> independent, movable, possibly resizable, rectangular area). Frames
> are akin to the latter. Panels are in-between.
>
> In general, you want your custom complex widgets to return Panel
> objects, so that they can be surrounded by a sizer and inserted inside
> other Windows.
>
> Daniel.
>
>> 2) If we can changed mapdisplay.MapFrame to wx.Window, for example, can we
>> still have dockable AUI menubars INSIDE the map display like we do now? Does
>> it matter if we do or don't? I can't see the digitizing toolbar to check
>> this out because of an apparent bug in the Mac version of AUI that makes
>> toolbar controls invisible. Given this, I'd argue that maybe we want to drop
>> the dockable toolbars, but I don't know how they function with respect to
>> the digitizing module in progress.
>>
>> Michael

>>> For a docking UI, you normally need at least one top-level window
>>> which cannot itself be docked. Children can either be docked into this
>>> window or undocked as separate top-level windows. If you undock
>>> everything, you end up with an empty[1] main window whose only purpose
>>> is to sit around in case you want to re-dock the children.
>>>
>>> [1] Or almost empty. There may be some components which can't be
>>> undocked, e.g. the menu bar.

>> Michael Barton, Professor of Anthropology
>> School of Human Evolution & Social Change
>> Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
>> Arizona State University
>>
>> phone: 480-965-6213
>> fax: 480-965-7671
>> www: http://www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton

Michael Barton, Professor of Anthropology and Director of Graduate Studies
Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213
fax: 480-965-7671