[GRASSGUI] Interacting views and realtime data.

Jachym Cepicky jachym.cepicky at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 11:41:22 EDT 2007

hi,

2007/3/20, Peter Fischer <peter_7003 at yahoo.com>:
> Hello,
>
> I have some questions about the capabilities of GRASS GIS concerning
> multiple views and display/storing of realtime data:
>
> We have a desk with a view of a terrain (2D view from top, optionally
> 3D from the side would be nice) and onto the desk are tablet PCs each
> with a magnified portion of the underlying terrain (i.e. the views are
> different from each other).
>
> Is it possible with GRASS GIS
>
> 1. That when the user interacts with one view (in the tablet PC ), he
>    also manipulates (shift, zoom, change layer) the other view (in the
>    desk)? If not yet, would GRASS GIS be customizable to do so?

if you mean, that the display content should change in all map
windows, while zooming/panning in one of them, yes, this is planed
feature

> 2. When using GRASS GIS with WMS/WFS/WCS, display of realtime vector
>    data coming in from sensors like GPS signals overlayed over the 3D-
>    map (terrain)? The architecture would be an additional data source
>    (to WFS and WCS) with the GPS signals and the WMS puts them
>    together to one raster image and sends them to the multiple views?
>    By the way, the views (in the tablet PCs and onto the desk) are
>    different, not identical. Another architecture (and better one, I
>    think) would be that the data from WMS, WFS, WCS and the GPS come
>    from different servers to the clients (instead via the bottleneck
>    of only via the WMS like above) and the clients (onto the tablet
>    PCs) do the "merging" of the data into one view each by themselves.

note: current "common" display architecture handles only 2D data. for
3D data you must use separate module NVIZ. it is on our todo to
integrate nviz functionality in new map display system.

although there is only poor support for Web Services in GRASS now.

> So it would be nice to realize such an architecture, if possible
> solely with GRASS GIS or, if reasonable, together with UMN MapServer
> and/or GeoServer (for transactional WFS to be able to write back
> annotations on the map and changes made in the vector data).

maybe v.edit && WPS could be interesting for you

> So if someone could tell me whether the above scenario is realizable
> with GRASS GIS and estimate how much effort it would take, you would
> greatly help me.
>
> Thank you in advance and
>
> Best regards,
>
> Peter.

Peter, from what I read in OSGeo and related mailing lists, I got
feeling, that you never started GRASS to see, what it does and what
not. Why not just give it a try to see, how it is build and what are
it's capabilities? Than we can talk more concrete.

Sorry if I'm wrong, I did not read the e-mails very carefully

Jachym
--
Jachym Cepicky
e-mail: jachym.cepicky gmail com