[GRASS-PSC] Changes to RFC1

Scott Mitchell smitch at mac.com
Sat Dec 16 10:02:04 EST 2006

On 15 Dec 2006, at 9:01, Paul Kelly wrote:

> Hello everyone
> As we discussed a few weeks ago I've proposed some modifications to
> the document describing the PSC. In fact I tried to edit it and
> then realised that really, I feel the existing one is totally wrong
> for us and describes a completely different organisation from
> GRASS. So I decided it was easier just to re-write it from scratch.
> Hope that doesn't offend anybody who made edits to the other
> version. Please let me know what you think

Looks great to me overall, I think you've captured the spirit of past
discussions well.
I do wonder about the possibility of stalemate, though:

> In general, once write access has been granted, developers are
> allowed to make changes to the codebase as they see fit. For
> controversial or complicated changes consensus must be obtained on
> the developers' mailing list as far as reasonably practicable. It
> is recognised that the ultimate arbitration on technical issues
> always lies with consensus on the developers' mailing list.
> Specifically, it is not the role of the PSC to impose technical
> solutions. Its role is limited to enforcing the quality control
> mechanisms outlined above.

What about the extremely rare, hopefully never happens, case of no
consensus developing on the main list?  Alternatively, can we give
some guidance on what is meant by consensus?  I had a vague inkling
that one role for a steering committee could be to decide what to do
if two (or more?) distinct options ever come up and the list can't
reach consensus.  The wording as it stands above heads part way down
that path with "consensus must be obtained on the developer's mailing
list as far as reasonably practicable", but we're missing what should
happen if "reasonably practicable" doesn't happen.  Is there a way we
can put in a mechanism without prejudging outcome/tying our hands to
a particular approach?

How about:
====
It is recognised that the ultimate arbitration on technical issues
should always lie with consensus on the developers' mailing list.
Specifically, it is not the role of the PSC to impose technical
solutions. Its role is limited to enforcing the quality control
mechanisms outlined above. In general, once write access has been
granted, developers are allowed to make changes to the codebase as
they see fit. For controversial or complicated changes consensus must
be obtained on the developers' mailing list as far as reasonably
practicable. If consensus fails to emerge naturally, issues can be
referred to the PSC for more structured efforts to build consensus.
As a last resort, if lack of consensus continues, the developer
community can request the PSC to choose options best preserving the
quality of the GRASS project.
====
OK, I'm still not completely happy with that, but maybe it will
stimulate suggestions?

Or, do people think I worry needlessly about the stalemate scenario?

Scott