[GRASS-PSC] Re: [SoC] Student Slot Allocations

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Tue Apr 10 05:25:15 EDT 2007

On Mon, 9 Apr 2007, Sunburned Surveyor wrote:

> 15 slots is awesome, and a lot more than I expected!
>
> Do we currently have the mentors we need for all 15 slots?

(Sorry for not responding to this for so long - I was at a conference,
then travelling, just getting through backlog of e-mails...)
I'm not sure we do for GRASS. I offered to be a mentor for the GRASS SoC
project that I proposed (replacement r.los module) but in the end no
students submitted a proposal based on this project.
GRASS is huge and complex and I don't feel I have enough knowledge of the
areas of any of the other proposals to be a good mentor there.

I see from the SoC website that new mentors can still register until
tomrrow (Wednesday) so I suppose there's a *possiblity* of more GRASS
mentors (Ccing GRASS PSC here just in case anybody has an idea) but really
I'm not sure if anybody would be interested if it wasn't their proposal as
complex (as I said GRASS is huge and complex and heading in many different
directions really).

All credit is due to Wolf for putting together interesting project ideas
that got many students interested - I really only imagined this being a
tiny first step for GRASS but it looks like it could be something really
significant, *if* we had the mentoring manpower, which unfortunately looks
unlikely at this stage.

Paul