SVN write access handling - was Re: [GRASS-PSC] Motion: Grant SVN write access for Ivan Shmakov

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Mon Feb 4 06:33:51 EST 2008

On Feb 4, 2008 8:33 AM, Hamish <hamish_b at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I would like to informally propose that in future we wait for a
> contributer to be active on the -dev mailing list for some time
> (perhaps 6 months?) before raising the question of granting SVN write
> access. This gives the user a chance to develop a track record,
> demonstrate an understanding of the codebase*, and get a feel for how
> our little development team works. In addition it gives PSC voters a
> chance to be confident in our votes rather than rubber stamping our
> approval on a mostly unknown entity.

In general I agree and did so with my proposals up to now.
Two exceptions:
- Glynn Clements (IIRC after two weeks)
- now Ivan Shmakov.

I was too impressed by their contributions and didn't really see a risk
since everything is traced and revertable.
My motivation here was and is to not let escape excellent people :)

But as said: generally it makes sense to watch folks a bit first.