[GRASS-PSC] GRASS GIS Community Sprint 2011 in Prague - A Success!

Yann Chemin yann.chemin at gmail.com
Tue May 31 04:42:14 EDT 2011

Congratulations Markus (and all there for the Sprint),

I would like to know what happen(ed/s) to some of the things noted in
the reports.
(extracted from http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_Community_Sprint_Prague_2011)

1 - Discuss fundamental changes in raster and vector engine for GRASS 8
2 - Discussion and implementation time frame of temporal GIS
capabilities in GRASS

3 - √ GRASS on clusters: shared discussion
- Job queuing with Grid Engine and Torque
- Multi-core CPU with OpenMP
- GPU+Multi-core CPU with OpenCL
- Multi-node with mpich2

4 - and other (like effficency and file number limits...)

I see them as one block of "performance" under various stress
conditions and would like to hear about your discussions on the
subject.

Thank you very much,
Yann

On 30 May 2011 20:12, Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org> wrote:
> The GRASS GIS Community is pleased to announce the results of the first
> Community Sprint,
> that took place at the Faculty of Civil Engineering - Czech Technical
> University in Prague,
> from 20 to 25 May, 2011.
>
> The Community Sprint has been a successful event, thanks to both the perfect
> organization
> by the hosting structure, which provided location and technical supervision,
> and the sponsors,
> which kindly financed the greater part of the developer's needs during the
> event.
> In particular, Martin Landa and prof. Aleš Čepek are gratefully acknowledged
> for
> the organization.
>
> Please read on here:
> http://grass.osgeo.org/announces/community_sprint_prague2011.html
>
> The GRASS GIS community is extremely grateful for the contributions of our
> sponsors:
> - GFOSS.it (Associazione Italiana per l'Informazione Geografica Libera,
> Italy)
> - R3-GIS.it (Merano, Italy)
> - FOSSGIS.de e.V. (German-language OSGeo local chapter), and
> - Sylla-consult.de (Frankfurt, Germany)
>
> which made the GRASS Community Sprint in Prague a great time.
>
> Best regards,
> The GRASS Community Sprint Participants

Yann Chemin