[GRASS-PSC] winGRASS6/7 and python - funding to improve the actual situation?

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Sun Feb 10 06:48:08 PST 2013

On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 12:31 PM, Hamish <hamish_b at yahoo.com> wrote:
>  It's a bad idea for any of us to personally open
> a bank account to accept funds. $YOU can be held liable for income
> taxes and contract issues arising from those funds.

Yes, this is why me (as PSC chair) nor anybody else has opened such
a bank account "privately".

> It is much better that OSGeo (as our Umbrella org)

OSGeo recently decided to stop such project support. See board decision
of November 2012 or so (can look it up if needed).

> or an incorporated chapter like gfoss.it
> (who have done this for us before) handles it on our behalf.

GFOSS.it recently decided to stop such project support. See their decision
of earlier in 2012 or so (can look it up if needed).

> This sort of thing is _exactly_ what we joined the OSGeo Foundation for,
> since they as the legal entity can accept the money on our behalf
> in an account especially earmarked to our project. If such infrastructure
> does not currently exist at OSGeo, the best thing we can do IMHO
> is work towards making it exist.

I.e. make it an official board request.

I am following up this stuff for more than two years to no avail.

Two current options I see:
- we could create a legal entity ourselves in the right country to
   make things happen.
- as we do in FEM, we hire developers directly to get things done.

Best