[GRASS-PSC] Permission request for using the Dev ML for a MSc thesis project

Marco Foi foimarco at gmail.com
Fri Nov 15 03:31:29 PST 2013

Dear ML Administrators/PSC,

I am a GIS enthusiast and Computer Science student and I am writing you to
seek for your preliminary consensus to use the
grass-dev at lists.osgeo.orgmailing list for the purposes of my MSc
thesis.

Specifically I am trying to directly collect the developers’ opinions about
a number of features that might characterize a good desktop geo-processing
framework.

The final goal is going a step beyond the usual Desktop GIS round-up to
attempt a review of all those open-source desktop environments that attract
developers and spatial-scientist by allowing them to efficiently create new
tools to process spatial information.

My plan is administering a simple questionnaire trough the ML and collect
voluntary contributes from the subscribers.

The synthesis of the results from this survey and from all the analogous
performed inside other Communities will be made publicly available at the
end of the study (February 2014) through a post on this ML (and perhaps in
a subsequent open-access paper).

All contributes from the ML will be managed complying to University Ethical
Committee (EC) regulations to ensure no leakage of personal information
will occur. This study has been approved by the EC with protocol
number COM/PG/UH/00034.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Dr. Marco Foi