[GRASS-PSC] Permission request for using the Dev ML for a MSc thesis project

Margherita Di Leo diregola at gmail.com
Mon Nov 18 04:07:26 PST 2013

Marco,

Sounds OK to me too. As far as I understand, You're asking for the
permission to send a link to a survey (questionnaire) in dev ML, right? I
don't know if you actually need the PSC to vote for that, I presume you
don't. Particularly, you could add a disclaimer to the web page of the
survey in which you explain the purpose and the use you intend to do. The
developers can decide on their own whether to participate or not. And..
good luck with your thesis!

cheers,
madi

On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 12:31 PM, Marco Foi <foimarco at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear ML Administrators/PSC,
>

> I am a GIS enthusiast and Computer Science student and I am writing you to
> seek for your preliminary consensus to use the grass-dev at lists.osgeo.orgmailing list for the purposes of my MSc thesis.
>

> Specifically I am trying to directly collect the developers’ opinions
> about a number of features that might characterize a good desktop
> geo-processing framework.
>
> The final goal is going a step beyond the usual Desktop GIS round-up to
> attempt a review of all those open-source desktop environments that attract
> developers and spatial-scientist by allowing them to efficiently create new
> tools to process spatial information.
>

> My plan is administering a simple questionnaire trough the ML and collect
> voluntary contributes from the subscribers.
>
> The synthesis of the results from this survey and from all the analogous
> performed inside other Communities will be made publicly available at the
> end of the study (February 2014) through a post on this ML (and perhaps in
> a subsequent open-access paper).
>

> All contributes from the ML will be managed complying to University
> Ethical Committee (EC) regulations to ensure no leakage of personal
> information will occur. This study has been approved by the EC with
> protocol number COM/PG/UH/00034.
>

> Looking forward to hearing from you.
>
> Dr. Marco Foi

Best regards,

Dr. Margherita DI LEO
Scientific / technical project officer

European Commission - DG JRC
Via Fermi, 2749
I-21027 Ispra (VA) - Italy - TP 261

Tel. +39 0332 78 3600
margherita.di-leo at jrc.ec.europa.eu

Disclaimer: The views expressed are purely those of the writer and may not
in any circumstance be regarded as stating an official position of the
European Commission.