[GRASS-PSC] too many branches => retirement GRASS6.5.svn (=develbranch6)

Helmut Kudrnovsky hellik at web.de
Sat Mar 29 14:17:35 PDT 2014

Dear GRASS GIS PSC,

margherita wrote
> Dear Luca,
>
> thank you for raising this issue,
>
> On Sat, Mar 29, 2014 at 7:04 AM, Luca Delucchi <

> lucadeluge@

> > wrote:
>>

>> with the upcoming GRASS 7 release we have to many branches to maintain
>> (releasebranch6, devbranch6, releasebranch7 and trunk).
>> Can I ask you to take a decision about the future of all this branches?
>>
>> I could suggest something like:
>> - keep releasebranch6 only for important bugfixes, no new feature and
>> starting to forget it
>> - put in reading mode or remove (after backport the differences with
>> grass64) devbranch6
>> - releasebranch7 is the new stable release branch, so new features
>> only when we are far from release a new version
>> - trunk for new feature
>>
>> what do you think?
>>

> I'm in favor. Having too many branches from users point of view only
> raises
> confusion, and for developers is much more effort required to keep track
> of
> everything.
>
> My 2c
> Regards,
> Madi
>

>> Thanks a lot
>> Best regards
>>
>> --
>> ciao
>> Luca
>>
>> http://gis.cri.fmach.it/delucchi/
>> www.lucadelu.org
>>

> --
> Best regards,
>
> Dr. Margherita DI LEO
> Scientific / technical project officer
>
> European Commission - DG JRC
> Institute for Environment and Sustainability (IES)
> Via Fermi, 2749
> I-21027 Ispra (VA) - Italy - TP 261
>
> Tel. +39 0332 78 3600

> margherita.di-leo at .europa

> Disclaimer: The views expressed are purely those of the writer and may not
> in any circumstance be regarded as stating an official position of the
> European Commission.

it was a pleasure to meet GRASS devs but also GRASS users at the Vienna
OSGeo Code Sprint [1] which was also a GRASS community sprint [2].
In addition it was a honour for me to help getting beta release of GRASS GIS
7.0.0, the upcoming stable release, into the wild.

Now for us, GRASS devs _and_ users, there are now several branches of GRASS
GIS (trunk, releasebranch7, releasebranch6, develbranch6) [4] to maintain,
test and use.

A lot of important improvements and new, exciting and fancy features are now
in trunk and releasebranch7 which will never be backported to releasebranch6
and so on.

It is time for GRASS devs _and_ users to focus development on and maintain,
improve, test and use GRASS7.

As I trust in GRASS devs experience and carefulness of code submitting and
in order

(1) to _minimize_ GRASS user's confusion which version to test, to use and
to give feedback for improvements and bug fixing

and

(2) to _reduce_ GRASS dev's burden to maintain, develop, improve and to fix
bugs in trunk and 3 branches

I request the retirement of GRASS6.5.svn (=develbranch6) and keep
releasebranch6 for release only in bug fixing mode and trunk and
releasebranch7 for future improvements and development.

best regards
Helmut
GRASS user, sometimes lightweight GRASS dev, osgeo charter member

[1] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Vienna_Code_Sprint_2014
[2] http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_Community_Sprint_Vienna_2014
[3] http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Talk:GRASS_Community_Sprint_Vienna_2014
[4] http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/grass