[GRASS-PSC] [GRASS-dev] planning releases - spring 2018

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Sun Mar 4 10:59:55 PST 2018

On Tue, Feb 27, 2018 at 11:30 PM, Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 27, 2018 at 10:14 PM, Martin Landa <landa.martin at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> major release 7.4.0 is almost one month old, we should think about
>> time schedule for a next releases. Assuming that we are trying to
>> release new (point) version every three/four months, 7.4.1 could be
>> schedule to May [1].
>
> That's good. Perhaps even earlier? Because I would like to see a new
> release with ZSTD compression included since I cannot run trunk in
> production and hesitate to heavily patch 7.4. locally. That would be
> 7.6.0 then.

Indeed we may create a new 7.6 branch already earlier and phase out 7.2.

> Yet some backports are open for 7.4.1 [4]
>
>> Meanwhile we could also release 7.2.3 [2] (7.2.2 has been released in
>> 16/9/2017). In March or later (see overall of changes [3]), what do
>> you think?
>
> Yes, a new 7.2.3 release soon as well. Yesterday I submitted a fix it
> since it failed to compile on Fedora 28. Some other distros should be
> tested as well before releasing (however, that does not take ages).
> Maybe that would become the last 7.2.x then? We'll see.
>
> Also some backports are desired here: [5]

For 7.2.3, I see only these relevant candidates left:

* i18N: Install gettext to Python script modules to use translated
strings extracted by r70817: r70818
* r.grow.distance: clean up after r68611: r69327

As Martin wrote: the authors in trunk may judge (here: Maris and
Vaclav, respectively).

I have started a draft trac page (please update as needed):
https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/Release/7.2.3-News

Markus