[STATSGRASS] Extracting coordinates of contours from R

Bill Kristan kristanb at moscow.com
Tue Mar 19 16:57:54 EST 2002

Has anyone found a way to extract contours from R in a way that can be used
as vectors in GRASS? I want to take the contours from a kernel density
estimate from the package "sm" (using display="slice") and use them in GRASS.
As far as I know all of the contour functions in R only plot to the screen,
but the contours are not returned.

Another possible way to do this is to use R-GRASS packages kde2d.G function,
import the resulting raster map into GRASS and then do the contouring there.
However, kde2d.G gives probability densities, whereas I'm trying to get
contours that enclose a particular proportion of the cumulative probability.
I would be just as happy to do the contouring in GRASS, if anyone can give me
a hint about how to get cumulative probability contours.

Thanks for the help,

Bill Kristan.