[STATSGRASS] R - GRASS and r.reclass

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Thu Dec 18 14:38:04 EST 2003

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003, Roger Bivand wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Dec 2003, Hamish wrote:
>
> > > I've done some very simple scripts to execute repeated operations on
> > > 25 GRASS maps. The problem is to pass values of reclassification rules
> > > to r.reclass. I've tried:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > > But this doesn't work. I think that this could be also with a bash
> > > script, but I don't know anything about bash.
> >

> > It is actually pretty clean with Bash, try the attached.
>
> Yes, this does it, and could be written to a file from within R too. My
> guess is that writing to a pipe to the shell could do it too, I'll have a
> look. It's difficult to include in the examples, because they now run
> without GRASS in their own temporary location. I'll post again when I've
> found a route from within R.

On reflection, there is no need to do this from R - even the example of
looping over raster cell indices in the Computers & Geosciences paper
doesn't have to be done in R. r.reclass is also a better solution than
reclassing in R, because it just stores changes in the classes of the
original raster, and is thus much more economic.

Roger