[STATSGRASS] Re: [GRASSLIST:5691] GRASS connection with R

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Wed Feb 9 10:50:03 EST 2005

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005, Silvia Franceschi wrote:

> Thanks,
> on my pc I have GRASS 5.7 and R-2.0.1, I can not send any error because the
> program crashes and do not write any error message.
> The other pc has GRASS 6.0 and R-2.0.1, here all seems to be right but if you
> want to plot the results there is an error message:

OK. GRASS 5.7 and 6.0 are the answer. The R-GRASS interface works for
GRASS <= 5.4. After GRASS 5.4, the WINDOW has been changed, meaning that
you have to use gmeta(interp=TRUE) until some way of accommodating the
major change in WINDOW handling in GRASS has been found that doesn't break
the interface for <= 5.4. Please post the command you use to get the GRASS
metadata - is it:

G <- gmeta()

Please also post summary(G).

In general I would suggest that you rather use the R gstat package,
krige.G() is just an illustration, not a proper function:

bmd142 <- vgm(158232, "Exp", 361.6, 24803.4)
g.zinc <- gstat(formula=Zn~1, location=~east+north, data=utm.maas,
  model=bmd142)
res <- predict(g.zinc, newdata=data.frame(east=east(G), north=north(G)),
  mask=maasmask)
plot(G, res$var1.pred)

is an example using the utm.maas data set (not tried here).

Roger

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no