[STATSGRASS] spatial autocorrelation

Trevor Wiens twiens at interbaun.com
Tue Mar 22 00:39:06 EST 2005

I've reviewed some of the documentation about accounting for spatial autocorrelation in GRASS and came across an interesting statement in the McCauley Spatial Autocorrelation GRASS Tutorial.

"If data are measured on a nominal scale, then the join count statistic is used."

I'm using logistic regression to model bird distributions. We reduced our count data to use / availability because there were insufficient data to model abundance. The data was transect gathered. I've avoided the use of a spatial autocorrelate and a trend surface, because this necessitates knowing where things are in order to predict them. If I understand the above statement, the use of Geary's C or Moran's I are thus inappropriate because they are interval / ratio based statistics.

In the point counts along transects, how does one measure a joint count statistic?

Trevor Wiens
twiens at interbaun.com

The significant problems that we face cannot be solved at the same
level of thinking we were at when we created them.
(Albert Einstein)