[STATSGRASS] The gstat R library's: memory problem

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Fri Aug 25 12:33:39 EDT 2006

On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 sisma66 at tiscali.it wrote:

> Thanks for all information you told me, so I undestood:
>
> 1) this isn't a bug but is an R problem that he can't manage a vector
> so big

On a 64 bit machine not a problem, just rather unnecessary.

> 2)both the sizes of the data and newdata are the same of grass region
> (I hope this can help more)

Yes, the big data matrix is roughly (800*900)^2 8 byte elements, so it is
more than you need.

> 3) reducing the resolution It works and also using maxdist

maxdist will do fine, because you would expect the spatial dependence to
decay quite sharply.

> 4) sorry for my stupid question, next time I will try to solve alone
> my issue

My comment wasn't (just) to you, very often problems happen to more than
one researcher at a time, and searching the archives is a useful trick to
know. I hope you make good progress now.

Roger