[STATSGRASS] sending to R an vector imported as v.in.ascii -vbt

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Thu Dec 7 13:15:04 EST 2006

On Thu, 7 Dec 2006, Carlos "Guâno" Grohmann wrote:

> I have some LIDAR data I want to play with R. the data was imported in
> GRASS with v.in.ascii -vbt. When I try to import it into R I get
> messages like
>
> > lidar <- getSites6sp("Vesuvio_DTM_Points");
> ERROR: Cannot open old vector Vesuvio_DTM_Points at lidar on level 2
> Error in vInfo(vname) : Vector information not found
>
> Is this because the vector doesn't has topology?

Yes. Could I suggest rather reading the original text file into R, or copy
the data out if it has changed within GRASS? Use scan for good
performance. If these are the kind of files with possibly millions of
points, the recent changes in data.frame (no bulky row names unless you
give them) may mean that read.table will be OK too, so any of the routes
to SpatialPointsDataFrame ought to be OK.

Roger

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no