[STATSGRASS] problems with installing maptools package (due to Foreign package)

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 31 18:39:32 EDT 2007

Daniel McInerney wrote:
> The current version of foreign on CRAN is 0.8-23,
> which depends on R >= 2.6.0
> You could try and install a previous version of
> foreign either (0.8-22 or 0.8-21) available under
> the Archived Packages on the cran.r-project website.
>
> If you don't want to compile R 2.6, you could add
> the sid repository to your apt-sources. You should be
> able to safely build for lenny using the sid sources.

R 2.6.0 should arrive in testing in the next day or few,
  http://packages.qa.debian.org/r/r-base.html

I hope there is a good reason for the version dep (which there well may be), as
it is very annoying when things are not backwards compatible for trival
reasons. Not everyone is running or wants to run the latest Gentoo.

Hamish