[STATSGRASS] Re: [GRASS-user] Simulation in grass 6

javier garcia-pintado jgarcia at ija.csic.es
Tue Sep 25 05:57:39 EDT 2007

I don't know if this will help you.
Just thinking about your reasons to use windows, maybe it's because you
need to execute some windows program.
My solution is to use R-GRASS in Linux for simulation, what is excellent
beacuse of the wealth of R functions for statistical evaluation of the
models, and the matrix operations in R. Also you can call C compiled
code from your R script to speed up bottlenecks in your code, as pieces
with a lot of loopings etc.
And if you need to execute some windows program, you can also execute
them remotely in a windows machina via ssh and get bak your results to
your linux machine. This also works right.
Good luck
Javier

Agustin Lobo wrote:
> Actually, I often use R as an scripting language
> for grass. The problem is that grass commands have
> to be issued using system(), which, for a complex code,
> becomes inconvenient (lots of paste() for generating the
> actual grass command).
> Not being an expert at all on python, I wonder
> if making R able of executing grass commands without
> having to use system() could not be a valid alternative
> to python, at least in some cases.
>
> Anyway, I think that the real solution would be having a GIS
> able of displaying R objects, sort of RGis.
>
> Agus
>
> Hamish escribió:
>> Rainer M. Krug wrote:
>>
>>> I am planning to write a spatial simulation model, simulating the
>>> spread of alien species on a landscape scale by using grass.
>>> My question how I should write the simulation model, i.e. in which
>>> scripting language. I am using Linux and have quite a bit of
>>> experience with R, so I thought that R (together with spgrass6)
>>> would be a nice scripting language to write the simulation and
>>> sending the grass commands through to grass, because it offers me
>>> quite a bit more concerning strtucturing on the modelling side then
>>> using a normal shell script
>>> But the simulation should also run under Windows and I don't have
>>> any experience with grass and R under windows.
>>
>> It sounds very well suited for Linux or MacOSX, but I've little idea
>> about the
>> GRASS+R Windows situation. Maybe someone on the statsgrass mailing
>> list knows?
>> (taking the liberty to cc)
>>
>>> I have the following questions:
>> ..
>>> 3) Is any other scripting language more suitable for what I want to
>>> achieve (I have no experience with C / C++, but quite a bit with