[STATSGRASS] Re: [GRASS-user] Simulation in grass 6

Rainer M. Krug Rainer at krugs.de
Tue Sep 25 05:33:44 EDT 2007

Agustin Lobo wrote:
> Actually, I often use R as an scripting language
> for grass. The problem is that grass commands have
> to be issued using system(), which, for a complex code,
> becomes inconvenient (lots of paste() for generating the
> actual grass command).

This is indeed a hassle, but I wrote a small R function which is pasting
all the parameters supplied together and executing them via system() -
still not perfect, but it works nicer then the system(paste(...)) approach.

> Not being an expert at all on python, I wonder
> if making R able of executing grass commands without
> having to use system() could not be a valid alternative
> to python, at least in some cases.

I think this would, at least, make using grass from R much easier. And
it shouldn't be to dificult to do that - just defining a function with
the same name as in R and execute it via system() - I think about using
this in my simulation.

Thanks,

Rainer

> Anyway, I think that the real solution would be having a GIS
> able of displaying R objects, sort of RGis.
>
> Agus
>
> Hamish escribió:
>> Rainer M. Krug wrote:
>>
>>> I am planning to write a spatial simulation model, simulating the
>>> spread of alien species on a landscape scale by using grass.
>>> My question how I should write the simulation model, i.e. in which
>>> scripting language. I am using Linux and have quite a bit of
>>> experience with R, so I thought that R (together with spgrass6) would
>>> be a nice scripting language to write the simulation and sending the
>>> grass commands through to grass, because it offers me quite a bit
>>> more concerning strtucturing on the modelling side then using a
>>> normal shell script
>>> But the simulation should also run under Windows and I don't have any
>>> experience with grass and R under windows.
>>
>> It sounds very well suited for Linux or MacOSX, but I've little idea
>> about the
>> GRASS+R Windows situation. Maybe someone on the statsgrass mailing
>> list knows?
>> (taking the liberty to cc)
>>
>>> I have the following questions:
>> ..
>>> 3) Is any other scripting language more suitable for what I want to
>>> achieve (I have no experience with C / C++, but quite a bit with
>>> Delphi. I have never used the likes of perl et al. and bash scrips
>>> seem a bit awkward to me for bigger projects.)?
>>
>> You could try python. The next version of GRASS will use python
>> heavily for the
>> GUI, so expect lots of example scripts, help on the mailing list from
>> fellow
>> travelers, and tight integration with the code.
>>
>> Learn python in 10 min:  http://www.poromenos.org/tutorials/python
>>
>> Also there is a SWIG/Python interface to any needed GIS library
>> functions,
>> which is pretty cool, although the grass modules generally give you
>> what you
>> need without having to resort to using any low-level libgis functions.
>>
>> see  http://grass.gdf-hannover.de/wiki/GRASS_and_Python
>>      http://freegis.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/grass6/swig/python/
>>
>> Hamish

NEW EMAIL ADDRESS AND ADDRESS:

Rainer.Krug at uct.ac.za

RKrug at sun.ac.za WILL BE DISCONTINUED END OF MARCH

Rainer M. Krug, Dipl. Phys. (Germany), MSc Conservation
Biology (UCT)

Plant Conservation Unit
Department of Botany
University of Cape Town