[GRASS-stats] Raster maps from GRASS to R and back to GRASS?

Edzer Pebesma edzer.pebesma at uni-muenster.de
Tue Apr 14 02:33:59 EDT 2009

>> So, this is the _correct and easy_ way instead of using a couple of |
>> (=OR) operators in my case? Or am I misinterpreting it?
>
> Yes, this is the most direct way to choose the subset of a data.frame
> with complete cases - used in lots of places that data.frame objects
> are used (since 1992, White Book). Think data.frame objects, not GIS
> objects (bands). This is about ontology, really.
Yes, or semantics at least.

Currently, a single gridded object in sp (SpatialGridDataFrame or
SpatialPixelsDataFrame) holds attributes in the @data slot, and this can
be a stack of bands that are spatially alligned, e.g. a set of bands
with different spectral characteristics. In addition bands (or variables
in the data.frame analogy) can be of different type, e.g. of type
logical or factor (think land use type).

The bands could also have a different time stamp, representing time
series of images, but the sp objects have no infrastructure to capture
the time stamp of a band.

--
Edzer Pebesma
8333081, Fax: +49 251 8339763 http://ifgi.uni-muenster.de/