[GRASS-stats] Spatial categories for risk data.

HINTERMEISTER, ARTHUR W. (Artie) AHINTERMEISTER at AMICA.com
Thu Dec 10 11:08:06 EST 2009

Hello,

I currently have a map that looks something like this:

|   x           x    o   x    o     x   |

|  x     x         x       x     a o  a |

|      a       x       o      o    x    |

|  x      x       o      o     o     a  |

|  x  x      x      o       a   o   a  o|

|  x     x     o   x  o   x   a  a    a |

| x   x    o      o     a   a      a    |

x = low risk

o = moderate risk

a = high risk

Each letter represents a person, and the entire map represents a state.
Each person's "risk score" is a continuous numeric value, but I have
categorized it into low, moderate, and high for visual simplicity. What
I'm hoping to do is draw lines that will divide out the categories. The
lines do not have to necessarily be straight, but I would like them to
be simple enough. I figure that I would have to account for any
overlapping or outlying persons. This is my initial idea of how the map
would turn out:

|                  /             /      |

|                 /             /       |

|      x         /     o       /    a   |

I have downloaded and installed GRASS and R, but I am not sure what type
of spatial method or analysis to use. Could someone please offer me
advice on how to get started with this project? Thanks so much!

Arthur Hintermeister

ahintermeister at amica.com <mailto:ahintermeister at amica.com>