[GRASS-stats] Incompatible library version for module SOLVED but new problem with plugin=TRUE has emerged

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Sat Jan 10 15:20:53 EST 2009

On Sat, 10 Jan 2009, Markus Neteler wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 3, 2009 at 11:09 AM, Roger Bivand <Roger.Bivand at nhh.no> wrote:
>> The current settings of readRAST6() will use the plugin if available (but
>> try to check that the regions match) when plugin=NULL. If you want to force
>> the use of r.out.gdal, set plugin=FALSE and useGDAL=TRUE (version 0.5-16).
>> Please let me know if this helps.
>
> I have installed R (R version 2.8.1 (2008-12-22)) + extensions from scratch.
> I get now this message (GRASS book p. 358):
>
>> elev <- readRAST6("elev_state_500m", mapset="PERMANENT", ignore.stderr=TRUE)
>           cols            rows origin.northing  origin.easting
>          FALSE           FALSE           FALSE            TRUE
> Warning message:
> In readRAST6("elev_state_500m", mapset = "PERMANENT",  :
>  set plugin=FALSE - raster/current window mismatch
>  or plugin=TRUE to override; continuing with plugin=FALSE
>
> To me it is not clear from the message that I should (better) set
> useGDAL=TRUE
>
> Ideally, the interface would work as simple as this
> elev <- readRAST6("elev_state_500m")
>
> which would
> * find the map in the current mapset search path (internally, use g.findfile),
>  in my tests I was in a mapset different from PERMANENT which leads to
>     elev <- readRAST6("elev_state_500m", ignore.stderr=TRUE)
>     Error in .local(.Object, ...) :
>        GDAL Error 4:
> `/home/neteler/grassdata/nc_spm_07/user1/cellhd/elev_state_500m' does
> not exist in the file system,
> and is not recognised as a supported dataset name.
>
> * use the current region (internally, use r.in.gdal and not the plugin
> if GRASS >= 6.4)

Markus,

This is effectively what I've tried to now. However, the user output is:

> library(spgrass6)
Geospatial Data Abstraction Library extensions to R successfully loaded
Loaded GDAL runtime: GDAL 1.6.0, released 2008/12/04
GDAL_DATA: /home/rsb/lib/r_libs/rgdal/gdal
Loaded PROJ.4 runtime: Rel. 4.6.1, 21 August 2008
PROJ_LIB: /home/rsb/lib/r_libs/rgdal/proj
GRASS GIS interface loaded with GRASS version: 6.4.0RC1
and location: nc_spm_08
> elev <- readRAST6("elev_state_500m")
            cols            rows origin.northing  origin.easting
           FALSE           FALSE           FALSE           FALSE
ERROR 6: SetColorTable() only supported for Byte or UInt16 bands in TIFF
format.
WARNING: Input raster map contains cells with NULL-value (no-data). The
          value 999 was used to represent no-data values in the input map.
          You can specify nodata value by nodata parameter.
/home/rsb/topics/grassdata/nc_spm_08/rsb/.tmp/reclus2/elev_state_500m has
GDAL driver GTiff
and has 620 rows and 1630 columns
Warning message:
In readRAST6("elev_state_500m") :
   set plugin=FALSE - raster/current window mismatch
   or plugin=TRUE to override; continuing with plugin=FALSE

which I agree is unhelpful (and most of it cannot be avoided on Windows,
where stderr cannot be ignored). I can work on some of this, but the two
r.out.gdal messages are not on my side. Even if I set GRASS_VERBOSE to 0,
won't they still be displayed?

Roger

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no