[GRASS-stats] Re: [GRASS-user] Testing i.pca ~ prcomp(), m.eigensystem ~ princomp()

Edzer Pebesma edzer.pebesma at uni-muenster.de
Tue Mar 31 15:48:49 EDT 2009

Nikos Alexandris wrote:
> Edzer:
>
> I do worry about the wiki that states results are "similar" between R and
>> grass, when the differences appear e.g. in the third or second digit of a
>>

> So you think it's really important? Isn't it a matter of pixel-inclusion
> in the various algorithms/programs?

Well, it's just much larger than I could imaging numerical dispersion
would give; if you mean by pixel-inclusion different methods how missing
values are treated, then I can understand it a bit better, given that
there are substantial amounts of them. The wiki might mention this
possibility. (Although I don't see why grass wouldn't ignore partially
missing valued pixels)

Note that I didn't run the examples, I was just surprised. When I
compare different software implementations of an algorithm, I usually
don't stop worrying until differences happen beyond digit 5.

--
Edzer Pebesma
8333081, Fax: +49 251 8339763 http://ifgi.uni-muenster.de/
http://www.springer.com/978-0-387-78170-9 e.pebesma at wwu.de