[GRASS-stats] R packages and GRASS

Felipe Carrillo mazatlanmexico at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 5 10:44:56 EST 2009

Hi all:
I'm brand new to GRASS and this list and just wanted to see if someone could point out to what I need to synchronize R and GRASS. I already downloaded GRASS 6.3, spgrass6 and dependencies and at my first attempt something is happening but I can't quite see a way to import data into R or run commands from R. I ran into the code below yesterday but I can't figure out how to run it from R.
I tried: system("g.region rast=elevation.dem") but I get an error message. Thanks
# set region:
g.region rast=elevation.dem

# extract some random points from an elevation dataset
v.random out=rs n=300

# create attribute table:
v.db.addtable map=rs columns="elev double"

# extract raster data at points
v.what.rast vect=rs rast=elevation.dem column=elev

# simple display:
d.rast elevation.dem
d.vect rs size=4

# start R