[GRASS-stats] problem installing spgrass6 in R

Tim Holland timothyholland at gmail.com
Sun Oct 4 08:21:04 EDT 2009

Roger Bivand wrote:

> One way of handling this might be - if you will only use rgdal from
> "within" GRASS, is to run the install from the rgdal source package in
> that environment. Alternatively, use gdal-config within GRASS to find the
> the GDAL libs (--libs) and headers (--cflags) strings to pass to the
> configure arguments in install.packages() in R outside GRASS. Here rgdal
> will fail after installation if the GDAL shared objects are not on the
> PATH R can see.

Dear all,

Sorry to keep asking for your time on this, but I am still running into some
problems.

I reinstalled everything from scratch, using all binaries from KyngChaos and
what I think was the correct order of installation.  And I still had the
same problem with spgrass6 and rgdal failing on installation.  So then I
tried what Roger suggested regarding using the configure arguments in
install.packages.

In GRASS, I did the following

GRASS 6.4.0RC5 (mapset):~ > gdal-config --libs
-L/Library/Frameworks/GDAL.framework/Versions/1.6/unix/lib -lgdal
GRASS 6.4.0RC5 (mapset):~ > gdal-config --cflags
-I/Library/Frameworks/GDAL.framework/Versions/1.6/Headers

I then wanted to use those paths in R in install.packages.  I tried

>install.packages("spgrass6", type="source", dependencies=TRUE,
configure.args=c("-L/Library/Frameworks/GDAL.framework/Versions/1.6/unix/lib
-lgdal","-I/Library/Frameworks/GDAL.framework/Versions/1.6/Headers"))

However, I ended up with the same error messages as always regarding
spgrass6 and rgdal failing to install.  Was I doing the right thing with
'configure.args'?  Was that the right syntax / the right elements?

Thanks for the help,
Best,
Tim