[GRASS-stats] "g.region: command not found" using readRAST6 command

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Fri Oct 9 14:24:14 EDT 2009

On Fri, 9 Oct 2009, Markus Neteler wrote:

> Tim Holland wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> Thank you very much for the help.  In the end, my problem was more
>> basic than Augustin's suggestion.  Starting R from within GRASS was
>> basically all I needed to do.  Also, Roger, thank you for the
>> 'pre-emptive' help with your comment about setting 'plugin=FALSE':
>> sure enough, when I tried without that command, I got the following
>> and R exited:
>>
>>> x<-readRAST6("GLC2000_Landcover_SEAsia")
>> ERROR: Incompatible library version for module. You need to rebuild GRASS
>>        or untangle multiple installations.
>>
>> But it worked fine with plugin=FALSE.
>
> AFAIK this indicates in this case that the GRASS-GDAL plugin is out of sync
> with GRASS. Rebuilding the plugin should help.
>
> Background:
> - first compile GDAL without GRASS support
> - then compile GRASS (needs GDAL)
> - then compile the GRASS-GDAL plugin (needs GDAL and GRASS)
> - use R

Markus,

The plugin is great for those who build from source, but here Tim is using
the Kyngchaos OSX binaries, and seems to have a working system. It may be
that some plugin directory is hanging around from a failed install, but
for relatively many otherwise able users, this is too hard to fix. We've
seen numerous Debian/Ubuntu users with similar version mismatches, and
they aren't easy to settle - I get tripped up by the plugin myself when
updating GDAL or GRASS. So for people who find that it helps, not using
the plugin provides a solution avoiding building from source.

Best wishes,

Roger