[GRASS-stats] problem installing spgrass6 in R

Tim Holland timothyholland at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 08:40:11 EDT 2009

Dear all,

I am trying to install spgrass6 in R, but am having trouble.  I have seen a
previous related post
(http://n2.nabble.com/GRASS-stats-Problems-installing-spgrass6-td1930684.html#a1930684),
but I believe this is a different issue as I get different error messages.

I am installing using the command
> install.packages("spgrass6", type="source", dependencies=TRUE)

On MacOSX 10.5.8, with sessionInfo() details as follows:

R version 2.9.2 (2009-08-24)
i386-apple-darwin8.11.1
locale:
en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/C/C/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8
attached base packages:
[1] tools_2.9.2

I think I have the GDAL libraries installed, as I believe they are required
for GRASS, which I have and which is running fine (version 6.4).  It seems
like the most likely problem (based on error messages) is not having an
acceptable C compiler?  If that is the issue, any guidance on how to find
and install one would be very appreciated.

Thank you for any help on this.  The error messages I get are below (sorry
for so much text).

Best,
Tim

* Installing *source* package ‘bitops’ ...
** libs
** arch - i386
sh: make: command not found
ERROR: compilation failed for package ‘bitops’
* Removing
‘/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.9/Resources/library/bitops’
* Installing *source* package ‘sp’ ...
** libs
** arch - i386
sh: make: command not found
ERROR: compilation failed for package ‘sp’
* Removing
‘/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.9/Resources/library/sp’
* Installing *source* package ‘XML’ ...
checking for gcc... no
checking for cc... no
checking for cc... no
checking for cl... no
configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
See `config.log' for more details.
ERROR: configuration failed for package ‘XML’
* Removing
‘/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.9/Resources/library/XML’
* Installing *source* package ‘rgdal’ ...
gdal-config: gdal-config
./configure: line 1311: gdal-config: command not found
Error: gdal-config not found
The gdal-config script distributed with GDAL could not be found.
If you have not installed the GDAL libraries, you can
download the source from  http://www.gdal.org/
If you have installed the GDAL libraries, then make sure that
gdal-config is in your path. Try typing gdal-config at a
shell prompt and see if it runs. If not, use:
 --configure-args='--with-gdal-config=/usr/local/bin/gdal-config' echo with
appropriate values for your installation.

ERROR: configuration failed for package ‘rgdal’
* Removing
‘/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.9/Resources/library/rgdal’
* Installing *source* package ‘spgrass6’ ...
** R
** inst
** preparing package for lazy loading
Error : package 'sp' required by 'spgrass6' could not be found
ERROR: lazy loading failed for package ‘spgrass6’
* Removing
‘/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.9/Resources/library/spgrass6’

The downloaded packages are in

‘/private/var/folders/nX/nX5WzHJNHoC9btpEipD-dU+++TM/-Tmp-/RtmplsIEHV/downloaded_packages’
Updating HTML index of packages in '.Library'
Warning messages:
1: In install.packages("spgrass6", type = "source", dependencies = TRUE) :
  installation of package 'bitops' had non-zero exit status
2: In install.packages("spgrass6", type = "source", dependencies = TRUE) :
  installation of package 'sp' had non-zero exit status
3: In install.packages("spgrass6", type = "source", dependencies = TRUE) :
  installation of package 'XML' had non-zero exit status
4: In install.packages("spgrass6", type = "source", dependencies = TRUE) :
  installation of package 'rgdal' had non-zero exit status
5: In install.packages("spgrass6", type = "source", dependencies = TRUE) :
  installation of package 'spgrass6' had non-zero exit status