[GRASS-stats] Problem installing spdep

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Tue Sep 29 08:55:45 EDT 2009

On Tue, 29 Sep 2009, Jarosław Jasiewicz wrote:

> Wolf Bergenheim pisze:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a problem when I try to install spdep I get the following error:
>>
>> Error: package 'Matrix' required by 'spdep' could not be found
>> Execution halted
>> ERROR: lazy loading failed for package 'spdep'
>> ** Removing '/usr/local/lib/R/site-library/spdep'
>>
>> The downloaded packages are in
>> 	/tmp/RtmpO1y8gG/downloaded_packages
>> Warning messages:
>> 1: In install.packages("spdep", dep = T) :
>>   dependency ‘Matrix’ is not available
>> 2: In install.packages("spdep", dep = T) :
>>   installation of package 'spdep' had non-zero exit status
>>

>> What am I doing wrong? I tried installing it with
>> install.packages("spdep", dep=T)
>>
>> --Wolf
>>

> It looks like dependency issue...
> use:
> install.packages("spdep",dependencies=TRUE)
>
> or try to install Matrix manually

Hi,

Since the last R release (2.9.0 I think), Matrix has become a recommended
package. I've seen this problem in installations that had Matrix installed
in a user library before, so that after upgrading R, there are two
competing installations. If this is the case, you'd need to find out from
library(), installed.packages() and .libPaths() where the errant Matrix
is, and use remove.packages() on it, indicating the correct lib=.

Roger

PS. There are more spdep users on R-sig-geo.