[GRASS-stats] Spatial autocorrelation of multi-spectral, uni- and mutli-temporal data sets

Nikos Alexandris nik at nikosalexandris.net
Sun Dec 26 12:00:32 EST 2010

Greets to the statists,

I want to "describe" my multispectral (Landsat5_TM) composite datasets with
respect to their between vs. within heterogeneity. The idea is that a
unitemporal data set exhibits less between-axes than within-axes (spectral
bands) heterogeneity. The opposite "should" be in the case of a bi-temporal
dataset (in my case a pre-fire and a postfire), where the between-axes
(spectral bands) "should" be more contrasted.

I was looking for various multivariate tests but found nothing that works
globally on the images (i.e. without the necessity to work on samples/classes
extracted from  the images), nothing that I can handle without the need to do
my homework for hours first, something easy to understand, estimate and
explain.

(I also asked in r-user but due to the nature of the question I guess it
correctly passed unanswered.)

A friend suggested spatial autocorrelation as an option (mentioned (also)
Moran's Index, Jaccart, MANOVA, Mixed effect model). I have a very basic
experience on autocorrelation (reading the book Applied Spatial Analysis with
R and having dome some exercises with a friend using climatic data). While I
am studying potential answers, I will be eXtremely grateful for any help,
advise, comment, hint on it (always doable within grass; R).

Milles mercis, Nikos.